Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?" - Erma Bombeck

How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was wonderfully relaxing! All the adults bring something to dinner to help the host out. This year my mom had us all bring desserts. When she told me my aunt wasn't making the apple pies she traditionally makes, I was sad. They are always so good, and remind me of the apple pies my grandmother use to make. However, I can understand why she didn't. My mom and I always only eat a sliver. No one else eats it. So it's a bit of a waste.

Unfortunately, I CAN NOT have Thanksgiving without apple pie! Where could I turn? Oh yea! PINTEREST! Of course I can't find the exact recipe I used, which is bad news for me. But I have this one posted on my Favorite Recipes board here.  

So, since I didn't write the recipe down, and can't find the exact website, I will just show you some pics of the process....

I started with Red Delicious apples. Most people use the green granny apples (including my aunt I believe) but I thought it would be fun to try something new!

 
 
I peeled about 5 apples with a peeler, cut the apples with the slicer, and then cut them into smaller 1/2 inch pieces.
 
 
 
 

Then I mixed the slices with the rest of the ingredients that I can't find online! UGH! (Sorry this is an epic fail blog!)
 
 
I used crescent rolls, flattened them, and then cut the bottom crusts using a mason jar lid to make excellent circles. (I'm so cheap frugal that I used 2 different kinds of rolls, so that I didn't have to go buy more!)
 
 
I placed them in cupcake tins, filled the cups with the apple mixture, and  then topped with butter.
 


I used the rest of the dough to use as a top crust and brushed the top with melted margarine.

 
 
Baked according to the crescent roll package directions and here is the final   result!!! Mini apple pies! No wasting! What we didn't eat I froze and made for dessert a different night! They were a success!
 
 
What was your favorite dessert this Thanksgiving? Please post and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment