Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"Dating is pressure and tension. What is a date, really, but a job interview that lasts all night?"- Jerry Seinfeld

Any of you ever feel that way? Dating before having my daughter was one thing, but it's so much harder now.

The bottom line is, I don't want men in and out of her life. I'll already be paying for enough therapy just for her being an only child of a single mom as well as the racial differences! I don't need to add more drama to her life!

I keep thinking I'm choosing someone better than the last one, but in the end they all seem similar. When it comes to the end of your relationship with a person, does anyone else hear Dr. Phil say something like, "If you throw enough rocks up in the air, eventually one of
them is going to hit you on the head.”??? (I don't even know what that means!) Am I the only one hearing he good doctor? Maybe I'm a little crazy....


I just recently ended the third somewhat serious relationship I've had in the past 9 years. As my daughter gets older, it's getting even harder to date and explain why things don't always work out, especially when she really likes him, like the last one.

How do you handle this with your kids? My immediate jerk reaction is to stop dating all together and just focus on her and I until she is in high school and doesn't even want to spend time with me any more. But is this realistic?

Of course I've been searching blogs for any answers to these questions from other single parents. I've discovered there is no real concrete answer. Every circumstance is different, as is how each child may handle it. I was disappointed there was no cut and dry answer.

However, after reflecting a bit, I did discover a silver lining..... I'm not alone. Single parents everywhere are doing the best they can just as I am. One. day. at. a. time.

And that is comforting....

Now, if anyone would like to contribute to Grace's future therapy fund, please email me directly! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you blogged about this. I feel exactly the same way. I am too afraid to date in fear my kids won't like him or he won't like my kids. Like you mentioned, the fear of having to explain why a relationship doesn't work and having them see different men in and out of our lives. my teenager seems to be my biggest critic of the people I take interest in and that makes it hard because I value her opinion, but should I? being a single mom is so rewarding yet at the same time so difficult especially when it comes to the dating scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I'm glad I'm not alone! I completely understand what you mean.

    ReplyDelete