Friday, October 12, 2012

"All you see, I owe to spaghetti." - Sophia Loren

That quote describes my learned cooking skills perfectly! Seriously, spaghetti and scrambled eggs (which I once made via microwave only) were what I survived on in my adult life before Grace was born. Once she ate solid foods, we added microwaveable pancakes to the menu! My lucky kid, right?!?!
 
My friend Karen's amazing meals began to inspire me to want to branch out. Plus she has the patience of a saint with me! So, I desperately tried to make her fried chicken, because who doesn't LOVE fried chicken?!?! Ummmm, yea....EPIC FAIL!!! Three times in a row now.
 
So I've finally come to terms with not being able to make fried chicken (my new plan is trying to get invited to Karen's house instead when she makes it). Instead, I've been scoping Pinterest (of course!) for recipes. I discovered a site where I found what we had for dinner tonight.... Cheeseburger Pie!
 
When Grace asked me what was for dinner tonight, and I replied, "Cheeseburger Pie" with excitement.... well let's just say I could hear her thoughts, "Oh God Mom! Another Pinterest meal. UGH!"
 
I thought it was a perfect meal because neither of us like the bun when we eat burgers, so a thin "crust" was a perfect solution. Of course Grace hears the word "pie" and immediately cringes. (She doesn't like pie) But here's the recipe and some of our photos to go along with it.
 
Cheeseburger Pie
 
Ingredients

  • 1 can crescent rolls
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, OR 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/3 cup chopped dill pickle slices
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 cups shredded American cheese, divided

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Unroll crescent rolls and press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch pie pan.
  3. Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned. Drain well.
  4. Stir in onion, chopped pickle, ketchup and mustard.
  5. Sprinkle with flour and add pickle juice and milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
  6. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of shredded cheese.
  7. Pour into the prepared crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges of crust are golden brown.
  8. Remove from oven and top with remaining cup of cheese. Let stand until cheese melts.
  9. Garnish with extra ketchup, mustard and pickle slices.

Here's what it looked like before going into the oven.
 
And here is the completed dinner.... waaaahhh laaaahhhh
 


 Grace only wanted ketchup on her piece and I had ketchup and mustard on mine ....

 

 And the final judgement.... all fingers were crossed!! Here's my critic mid first bite. (Posting pics like these is why I'm collecting her therapy fund!)

 
AND THE VERDICT IS................
 
(she's so cute, isn't she?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment